West Texas VA Health Care System
My HealtheVet 2014
My HealtheVet is the VA’s online Personal Health Record. Its web-based resources and tools offer you greater control over your own health and wellness allowing you to be an active partner in your health care.
Here are just a few of the things you can do with your My HealtheVet account:
• Refill your VA prescriptions and track the delivery on most medications
• View your VA appointments and lab results at your convenience
• Use the VA Blue Button to download your personal health information and records
• Use Secure Messaging to directly communicate with your health care team
Now let’s take a closer look at the Secure Messaging feature and explore how it can be used to help you communicate with your health care team.
What is Secure Messaging?
Secure Messaging is a secure, web-based message service that allows you to communicate non-urgent health related information with your VA primary health care team, mental health team, patient advocate, My HealtheVet coordinator and more. Your primary health care team is made up of your primary care physician, RN care manger, LVN/LPN, pharmacist and clerk.
How will Secure Messaging benefit me?
With Secure Messaging you are able to:
• Communicate non-emergency health care issues with your team
• Send messages 24 hours a day 7 days a week (the team should respond to you within three business days after the message was sent)
• Request test results and health information
• Receive educational links from your provider from the Veterans Health Library
• Request appointments
• Request prescription renewals when there are no remaining refills
• Receive email notification when you have a new Secure Message or response to read
How is Secure Messaging different from email?
One of the VA’s top priorities is your privacy. Unlike most email, the Secure Message feature of My HealtheVet is a secure site, so you can rest assured that your information is being protected. You do not need an email account to participate in Secure Messaging as it is accessed directly from your My HealtheVet account.
How do I participate in Secure Messaging?
Here is what some of our Veterans at the West Texas VA Health Care System had to say about MyhealtheVet and Secure Messaging.
“I have used MyHealtheVet for years and my favorite feature is the ability to refill and track my prescriptions online, it’s so quick and easy. The Secure Messaging feature is especially helpful as well. It’s so nice to know that whenever I have a question for my Team I can send the message right then instead of waiting to call or for my next visit.”
-Daniel, WTVAHCS Patient
“I personally have communicated with my Health Team, Dr. Zhang and Marilyn Simpson on numerous occasions through My Healthy Vet. They are both able to communicate with me easily and quickly about questions I have and give me feedback on tests I have taken. It seems to me that both of these people are committed to providing good healthcare while working within the VA system. This secure messaging system allows me to manage my own care better and thus I take up less of their time in office visits and waiting on phone calls.”
-Sheree, WTVAHCS Patient
Are you interested in learning more or getting a My HealtheVet account or In Person Authentication?
Get started online at http://www.myhealth.va.gov or come in to any VA Health Care Facility or CBOC and speak to someone about your account, and start taking advantage of all that My HealtheVet has to offer.