West Texas VA Health Care System
The staff at the West Texas VA Health Care System have provided a number of ways for you to learn how to live a healthy lifestyle and self-manage your own health.
The MyHealtheVet - VA Health Education Library site provides veterans and their families excellent, reliable patient education information as well as the latest VA News. Information about veterans benefits and services is also available.
Upon registering with My HealtheVet, you will be able to:
- refill prescriptions online
- keep personal food and activity journals
- monitor your personal health data, such as blood pressure and pain levels
- maintain your own self-entered personal health record
- Clinical staff provide health education related to numerous health issues. Group courses are offered on a regularly scheduled basis.
- A Registered Dietician, Registered Nurse and a Pharmacist team up to provide classes on managing Diabetes.
- In addition, we have a class called "MOVE" which helps our veterans with their weight management.
Education is tailored on a more personal level for the following:
- Thinking about "quitting" the use of tobacco? We also offer an individualized class, taught by a Pharmacist, to assist in the process of giving up tobacco products.
- You may be one of our many patients who are on Anticoagulants or "blood thinners". There is Coumadin Clinic in our WTVAHCS which is staffed by a Clinical Pharmacists who assists patients in medication and diet management for those taking anticoagulants.
- If you are interested in any of the education we offer, please ask your nurse or physician/practitioner to help you by providing a consult.
- From the time of admission into our facility, clinical staff will begin the process of patient education. This will continue during your hospital stay and at discharge. Our healthcare providers will continually provide updated information to you.
You are encouraged to Speak Up! We want you to ask questions regarding your care, medications, treatments and other information which you may need.
Health Trends Newsletters
Health Trends Newsletters are published quarterly and contain a wealth of health care information. These newsletters are mailed to VA patients and are also available online. Health Trends Newsletters.